Monday, October 19, 2015

Survey's over! Long post, TLDR below!

The survey is now over! I'm ending it partly because I wanted it to be a weekend thing, but the site I was using sealed the deal. There were 105 responses and I was only able to see 100 of them without having a "upgraded" account. I received a lot of good feedback, so if you had something you posted and would like to share or add to the discussion, please post in the forums. Nothing is too little or stupid; it all gives me motivation to work that much harder.

So, what did I learn? For the sake of keeping things anonymous, I'll just share the results instead of the actual survey.

Out of 100 people:
58 people loved it
40 people liked it
2 people were on the fence.

Writing quality:
36 Greats
58 Goods
6 Alrights

Favorite story line:
Kind of surprised, but all the girls were given the same amount of love, with Judy in front just by a margin. The only responses I received on the forums for Kelly was that she wasn't diverse enough, so I thought it would be skewed to Judy being 1, Abby 2 and Kelly 3. It is actually, Judy 1, Kelly 2, and Abby 3 (by averages). I thought I did pretty well with her writing too. I'll quote a comment I received: "just the say, the Kevin-Kelly story is a wonderful thing, and I'd love to see more of it. It's the most unexpected mixture of bonners and feels I've ever experienced." - Anon

Version:
Harlowe - 43
Sugarcube - 34 (It doesn't work in chrome for some reason)
Both - 22

The main question, STATS:
Very strongly - 13
Somewhat strongly - 19
Can go either way - 41
Not very much - 18
Not at all - 9

I guess that for the casual player, (as in those who check up on these type of games from time to time) it would be nice to come back to these options. For those who are invested, it'd be pretty heart breaking to see this project start back at ground zero. Most people are willing to let me take it in either direction, so thank you for that.

What will this mean for the game then? Good news is... the system is MAYBE almost ready? I've been grinding it out and have been able to establish a lot of things including conditions, customization, stats and variables. As I've said before somewhere, I've originally conceived of the game to be more like this anyways and since the CYOA version was torn through, I'm going to make it more into a repeating adventure game. Thankfully, the Harlowe version of Twine is simple and complex enough that I have established most of the things I've set out to do.

Currently, I'm working on a morning masturbation scene for Kevin, AND Kelly, incorporating all these things. If you've read the "Updates" page, I've stated this a few days ago, but I'm going to announce it now that everything seems promising. Once I finish both the male and female morning masturbation scenes, I'll add the breakfast scene and then test out actual sex with how my system works. It should basically let you choose a position then actions to perform. Then, using a dice roll that's based on your stats, skills and experience, you and your partner gain a certain amount of pleasure. I've sort of tested my system out, but it may require a lot more tweaking. My test subjects will be Judy and James, so we'll see how that goes! I might push out an in between version for those who are interested to try out the new system...

Beyond that, I need to figure out a good movement system so that you don't receive giant time skips for no reason while still limiting how far you can travel on foot. I have the game set up to an hourly system, but with how V.002's story flows, either the story or the system will need a little rework.

Aspects being developed:
Mmm, most people said the family. A couple said Kevin-Shasha and Kevin-Kristine, which is surprising because no one has mentioned them on the forums. (Once again, feedback, comments and discussions is greatly appreciated) A lot of people did not consider the outside world, and I guess I can't blame them because I haven't released a version that dives into that too much. I have some content, it just wasn't worth incorporating while everything else was so incomplete. With the new system up, I can always add people and conditions to change the story variety up with no overt decisions leading to them. All of that would mean a (easy?) system, where I can add events after the first day with little need to connect all the dots. All in all, read my "Design" page to hear from a hypocrite...

Funding:
Very willing - 34
Indifferent - 57
Not willing - 8

This is one of the questions I've been asking myself and hinting to for a while. I know I, or whoever else makes online content, will sound like a broken record, but these things take time and consequently, money. I think with my time frame and considering the three (I hate myself) reworks, I've done pretty well. I've seen a lot less being pushed out over a much longer time frame. With that said, I understand the concerns of most people about supporting what is essentially a person who may or may not complete something. Let me quote myself and say, "This is not an easy idea by a fickle writer. This is an ambitious project by an invested mad man." I've been working on this for over a year and only released it one and a half month ago. No, I wasn't doing it full time then, but I've managed to squeeze out 200 + pages over 4 weekends.

Let me go into full transparency mode here: I've realized I cannot do a 9-5 job forever. I hate it. I'd much rather be a purveyor of smut. What do I want? Something that can replace a minimum wage job for me to drop it (America, everyone). What does that mean? 1500 monthly or 750 per bi-weekly update. How much do I want to charge? 1 dollar for full access. I have something planned for beyond that, but I'm not sure of people would be interested in it right now. Can this story be completed? Yes, definitely. How long will it take to finish? I do not know and cannot give an accurate estimation. What I can say is that I do not plan to do this for an extended amount of time (meaning within 1-3 years with stretch goals and over estimation added in) and that I am a workaholic. What will this mean? 36 dollars from one supporting member if I go to the 3 year mark. What I'm really looking for is a big audience, not wealthy investors. Do I believe it "deserves" to be supported right now? I think it shows promise and a lot of potential. I don't want to have to stick my foot in my mouth later on, but what you've seen/read is just the tip of the iceberg. I have conceived of a giant play ground for you to relive the day over and over in, that isn't only inclusive to the family story (it's there because it's hot!). I truly want this to be something like it's source material (Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow/Source Code) and have a universe of options.

Comments:
The comments were very nice to read. A lot of feedback and thoughts pointing to some reasons why people can't support me monetarily with some concerns about the mechanics and rework. Overall, everything was positive and nice. It's surprising almost, although I guess if you hated it, you wouldn't have bothered to answer the survey. I giggled a little when people told me, what seemed like, their deepest fantasies. I can't answer all your questions here, so post them if you want a direct answer to it. Other than that, thank you for your kind words.

Finally to quote the joker: "If you're good at something, never do it for free." AND "Oh, and every day he doesn't, people will die, starting tonight. I'm a man of my word. [laughs]"


TLDR;
Loved it, good writing, Judy-Kelly-Abby in order, Harlowe, Stats - either way, wants family story to be completed, indifferent to funding, comments were nice and helpful.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps most people prefer Kelly because they haven't seen the other side of Abby? Who knows.

    I know it took me a while to find said other side.

    If you want, you can try taking some ideas from Robozou on the movement/time side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. http://icarusdragon.blogspot.com/p/the-game.html

      Links to forums are there.

      Delete