Saturday, September 19, 2015

What's up

Hey, everyone!

I'm going to post this here, instead of on the forums because I don't want to give myself a bump. But, I am seriously excited about how well everything is going. Twine is much easier to use with it's visual interface, but I'm a little worried. When zoomed out all the way, I can see the limited space they're giving me. I'm currently trying to register on their website and seek some help because with just 80% of the Kevin-Judy story integrated, I am taking up about a third of the work space. If anyone is familiar, is the space limited on Twine, or will it expand as I reach the boarders? Other than that, I am laughing to myself because of the convoluted path tree...

I have concluded not all Kevin-Judy, Kevin-Abby and Kevin-Kelly choices will be fleshed out with the Twine release. It simply branches out too far and will take too long. I'll have to fill in the blanks for a later release.

I have checked and am humbled by the 3200+ people who have gave the Quest version a try. Thank you so much, I appreciate your time and feedback. Again, I apologize for the frustration, (it's been every other comment). I will make it up to you next release. Until then!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite brave. I tried creating my own game in Twine, but I'm always having problems with editing stylesheet, though I do everything right. Quest is much easier to operate, but stylesheet is completely uneditable when it comes to changing code (seriously, no idea how to save changes in sheet. Do you know anything about it?). So Twine and Quest are quite the same in editing sheet. Though I chose Quest for my own game. Why? Because the creator might get easily lost in this whole web of choices. Seriously, I wouldn't handle it. Aaand Quest has functions. c:
    ~~Daffodil~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't been coding much in either Quest or Twine. I've been trying to organize everything so that I can make sense of it. With the amount of writing I have down, maybe I can bypass the need to code, (at least temporarily). But yes, in either one of them, once you get up to the hundredth pages, they become harder to keep track of. Quest seemed more favorable when I was going to include stats. I still want to, but I'll have to work that out at a later date.

      Delete
  3. Twine has a couple, (I hesitate to use this term) "MODs" for it. One is called "Sugar Cube" and the other's name escapes me at the moment. I believe there are a few custom engines based off Twine around as well. Might wanna ask around TFGamesite. They know MUCH more than I do. Anyway those add much more functionality to the base version of Twine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my two cents:

    Keep the ability to use the backspace button. Think of it this way: When you read a book, are you locked from the ability to turn the page back to re-read the previous page? No, you aren't.
    Does it ruin the narrative? No, not at all.
    As such, I believe it would detract from the overall experience and, in fact, turn away people from the game if you were to remove the ability to use the backspace button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree with you, but based off the source material (Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow), when Phil Connors or Nick Cage messes up the day, there's no back button. They have to live with those consequences for the short term. Trust me, I'll keep it in there for as long as the story is incomplete because hitting a dead end or blank page is definitely my fault. BUT, once it's closer to where I want it to be, my hope is that you'll want to branch off in different directions for exploration, rather than exploring all the branches and consequently, getting all the content of one aspect of the game. I want it to be where you'll come back to the mother after exploring the city and by making different decision, find out there are pathways you didn't know existed. I hope that helps explain my intentions.

      Delete
    2. Thing is, though, I don't think people will want to go through 20+ pages just to see whether or not this one decision leads to a different result, even more so if there's more than just two decisions.

      Delete